Recipe by English_Rose
Delicious eggy bread, crisp bacon and chilli spiked tomatoes make a terrific breakfast time trio in this tempting recipe from Lesley Waters.
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper
- 4 slices white bread, cut in half diagonally
- 12 slices smoked streaky bacon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 large tomatoes, sliced into four
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons chili oil
- 2 tablespoons basil leaves
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the broiler.
- Beat the eggs in a large bowl and season well.
- Pour into a large shallow dish, dip the slices of bread in the egg mixture and leave for a few minutes to soak.
- Meanwhile broil the bacon for 1-2 minutes on each side until crisp. Keep warm in a low oven.
- In a large frying pan, melt the butter with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil.
- Add half of the soaked bread and fry for 2 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile heat the remaining olive oil in a separate frying pan.
- Add the tomato slices and sprinkle over the sugar.
- Fry for 1-2 minutes on each side or until the tomato slices have caramelized and softened, but still retaining their shape. Shake over the chilli oil and remove from the heat.
- To serve, place two pieces of eggy bread, slightly overlapping on the centre of each plate and top each with 3 slices of bacon.
- Place a spoonful of the tomatoes to the side of the bread and tear over the basil.
- Serve immediately.