Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
I saw these in a magazine recently, and thought how yummy they looked.
- 15 slices prosciutto
- 2 large firm eggplants, washed,dried and sliced (in rounds, NOT lengthways)
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 1 cup semi sun-dried tomato
- 6 slices mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- basil leaves (extra)
- Oil a baking dish.
- Place half slice of prosciutto on tray, and top with a slice of eggplant, onion a few basil leaves and tomatoes.
- Season lightly and repeat the layers finishing with a slice of cheese then another eggplant slice.
- Repeat with remaining ingredients to form 5 more stacks.
- Wrap 2 slices of prosciutto over each stack and secure with toothpicks.
- Cover baking tray with foil and bake in a moderate (180C) oven for 30 minutes or until the eggplant is tender.
- Remove the foil, and bake for 5 more minutes to crisp up the prosciutto.
- Serve the stacks immediately drizzled with a little of the syrup.
- Balsamic Syrup: Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to the boil, stirring.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered until syrupy.
- Cool slightly and remove basil leaves before serving.