Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious way to serve eggplant!
- 1 large eggplant
- 2 beaten eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 cup shredded American cheese
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 3⁄4 cup crushed Ritz cracker
- Pare and cube the eggplant. Boil in salted water for 15 minutes. Drain well and mash.
- Add eggs, milk, breadcrumbs, and 3/4 cup cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend well and put in a greased casserole dish.
- Mix crackers and melted butter and sprinkle on top of casserole. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
I modified this recipes slightly...I didn't have american cheese so I used cheddar. I also added minced chives and a dash of cayenne pepper. It turned out delicious! I used Jujubegirl's idea of the immersion blender and it was quick and easy!
Yum! We are big fans of eggplant and this casserole is a great new way to serve it up. I used two medium eggplants because I couldn't find any good large ones. Makes a nice big casserole so you can either feed a lot of people or have some yummy leftovers (which is what I like to do!) The cheese and crackers on top give it some nice texture, since the eggplant mixture is mashed. When I drained the eggplant, I used my immersion blender to do the mashing, which made very quick work of it. Easy to put together!
This was excellent. I used twice as much eggplant & less cheese & butter. My husband who does not like eggplant told me to make it again.