An adapted recipe that originated from Hotel Maison de Ville, New Orlean, Louisiana. This is a dream for eggplant and olive lovers--like me. Can be used as an appetizer, light lunch or supper.
- 1 large eggplant
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onions
- 1⁄3 cup chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- French bread, sliced toasted
- 3⁄4 cup Greek olive, pitted and finely chopped
- 2 anchovy fillets, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- To make Tapenade: mix together all the ingredients and set aside.
- To make caviar: Prick the eggplant with a fork several times.
- Put eggplant on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 20 minutes or until skin starts to darken and pulp feels soft.
- Let eggplant cool.
- Peel the eggplant and chop into coarse chunks.
- In a large bowl, mix together the chopped eggplant and the next 9 ingredients.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Serve the caviar with tapenade and toasted french bread.