Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
When I was a little girl, I used to love the eggplant casserole at Luby's Cafeteria. This is pretty similar.
- 473.18 ml eggplants, chopped
- 118.29 ml celery, chopped
- 118.29 ml bell pepper, chopped
- 118.29 ml onion, chopped
- 304.75 g can cream of mushroom soup
- 113.39 g jar pimientos
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml butter
- 170.09 g package Stove Top stuffing mix
- salt and pepper
- 473.18 ml cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt butter.
- In large bowl, mix together eggplant, celery, bell peppers, onion, soup, pimientos, eggs, butter (melted) salt and pepper to taste.
- Add Stove Top, mixing everything together thoroughly.
- Place in 9 x 13 casserole, coated with nonstick cooking spray.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 for one hour.
I think this recipe is a bit misleading. You hardly notice the eggplant at all. It's more like a stuffing with vegetables. I added a little extra eggplant, but it was still masked by the stuffing. I always use Specialty Soup Substitutes - Cream for the cream soups, so I used the mushroom version. This would be great to disguise eggplant for those who don't care for it. Thanx for sharing.
This was AWESOME. Even the leftovers were good. I only used a 2 oz. jar of pimientos and that was plenty. I also waited to put the cheese on until 30 minutes into the baking time. Next time I might try mixing 1/2 of the cheese into the casserole and putting the other 1/2 on top.
I definitely agree with "Parsley" that this is eggplant stuffing and you can not taste the eggplant. It did not say whether or not you were supposed to peel the eggplant or not, so, I didnt . Big mistake. The eggplant had tough to chew edges. I didn't have any cheese so I didn't put it in. I'm glad that I didn't use the cheese because it would have been a waste. I thought that it would make a good main course, what a waste. <br/>I don't understand how everyone can give this a good rating. Are people afraid to post something bad when it is true?