Prep 40 mins
Cook 40 mins
an impressive appetizer. Tastes good too.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled, cut into 2 inch cubes
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, plus
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 3 cups broccoli florets (about 1 lb)
- 3⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons gorgonzola
- 1 tablespoon butter
- arugula (to garnish)
- chopped tomato (to garnish)
- For timbale: Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Butter four, 4-oz timbale molds generously.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add garlic.
- Add eggplant and cook until tender and slightly caramelized, stirring often, about 25 minutes.
- Add cream to eggplant and cook until absorbed, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer to processor and puree until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl.
- Stir in cheese, then egg, and season.
- Spoon into prepared molds (can be prepared 6 hours ahead, bring to room temperature before continuing).
- Set molds in roasting pan.
- Pour enough hot water to come halfway up sides of molds.
- Bake until firm to touch and tester comes out clean, about 40 minutes.
- Cover with foil if browning too quickly.
- Prepare broccoli sauce: Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in shallot; and broccoli and broth and cook until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes.
- Do not overcook or broccoli will lose colour.
- Transfer to processor.
- Add cream and puree until smooth.
- For gorgonzola sauce: Stir cream, cheese and butter in small skillet over medium heat until cheese and butter melt and sauce thickens, about 3 minutes.
- To serve: Spoon broccoli sauce onto each plate.
- Unmold timbale atop sauce.
- Spread Gorgonzola Sauce on top.
- Garnish with arugula and chopped tomato.
Although a bit time consuming to make it is workt it. A wonderfully rich and imressive appetizer. Great for that special Christmas dinner party.