Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is different & YUMMY! It can be either the main dish or a side dish. Try it, you'll like it!
- 4 Japanese eggplants (long & thin lavender color)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped fine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup honey (heated)
- Use Japanese (long& thin lavender color) Eggplants.
- Slice them about 1/2” thick diagonal& arrange them in rows covering the entire bottom of a baking or cookie sheet.
- Brush Extra-Virgin Olive Oil on top of each slice& broil until golden.
- Turn the slices over& repeat the same brushing& broiling until golden.
- Set aside& make another batch or a few batches the same way.
- In a small pot& on a low flame, heat the honey until liquified.
- In a bowl mix extra-virgin olive oil, salt, pepper, chopped cilantro, lemon juice, heated honey, cumin& sugar.
- In a baking dish that’s about 2” deep, arrange the slices as before, only this time slightly overlapping each slice covering the entire dish.
- Brush the sauce mixture onto each slice.
- Add another layer of eggplant slices& brush the sauce mixture over each slice as before.
- You can make as many layers as you wish.
- Place into preheated 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven& slice into whatever size squares desired& serve.
I used half of a regular eggplant and scaled the recipe down for one. Very fresh and yummy flavors! Thanks!