Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep1 hr 30 mins
This recipe I found 37 years ago as a new bride in an issue of,I believe, Good Houskeeping. They ran a several month section called "Susan, the beginning cook learns to ...." It sounded really good and even as a novice I was right. I found it so tasty and got so many compliments on it that I often make the sauce portion and use it as a thick meat sauce for spaghetti or any kind of pasta.
- 1⁄3 cup salad oil or 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons salad oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1⁄2 cup dry Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, sliced
- In 2 tablespoons hot oil in large skillet, saute onion, garlic and beef, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer red- about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and sugar; bringing to boiling,stirring with wooden spoon.
- Reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish or a shallow oval baking dish.
- Wash eggplant, do not peel.
- Cut crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick.
- In a pie plate, combine eggs and 1 tablespoon water; mix well with fork.
- On waxed paper, combine bread crumbs with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese; mix well.
- Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, coating well and then dip into crumb mixture, coating evenly.
- In 1 tablespoon hot oil in medium skillet, saute eggplant slices, a few at a time, until golden-brown and crisp on both sides.
- Add more oil as needed.
- Drain on paper towels, if necessary.
- Arrange half of eggplant slices in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Sprinkle with half of the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- Top with half of mozzarella cheese slices.
- Cover with half of sauce.
- Arrange remaining eggplant slices over tomato sauce.
- and repeat with parmesan cheese and toppng with mozzarella cheese slice.
- Cover with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered, 25 minutes or until cheese melts and top is browned.
- Remove from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- You may make ahead, bake, as above, and freeze.
- To cook/reheat: bake frozen at 350 degree oven, covered for 45 minutes.
- Remove cover, and bake an additional 15 minutes longer uncovered.
We are always looking for ways to cut calories, so we left out the breading/frying step, which meant no bread crumbs..also left out the brown sugar. Still an excellent, excellent recipe.