1 hr 55 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Goodies from Grandma's Kitchen's Note:
This recipe I found 37 years ago as a new bride in an issue of,I believe, Good Houskeeping. They ran a several month section called "Susan, the beginning cook learns to ...." It sounded really good and even as a novice I was right. I found it so tasty and got so many compliments on it that I often make the sauce portion and use it as a thick meat sauce for spaghetti or any kind of pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/3 cup salad oil or 1/3 cup olive oil, plus
- 2 tablespoons salad oil or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 16 ounces ground beef
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 (1 1/2 lb) eggplants
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup dry Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 1In 2 tablespoons hot oil in large skillet, saute onion, garlic and beef, stirring occasionally, until meat is no longer red- about 5 minutes.
- 2Add tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, basil, salt, pepper and sugar; bringing to boiling,stirring with wooden spoon.
- 3Reduce heat and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 5Lightly grease a 13x9x2 inch baking dish or a shallow oval baking dish.
- 6Wash eggplant, do not peel.
- 7Cut crosswise into slices 1/4 inch thick.
- 8In a pie plate, combine eggs and 1 tablespoon water; mix well with fork.
- 9On waxed paper, combine bread crumbs with 1/2 cup parmesan cheese; mix well.
- 10Dip eggplant slices into egg mixture, coating well and then dip into crumb mixture, coating evenly.
- 11In 1 tablespoon hot oil in medium skillet, saute eggplant slices, a few at a time, until golden-brown and crisp on both sides.
- 12Add more oil as needed.
- 13Drain on paper towels, if necessary.
- 14Arrange half of eggplant slices in bottom of prepared baking dish.
- 15Sprinkle with half of the remaining Parmesan cheese.
- 16Top with half of mozzarella cheese slices.
- 17Cover with half of sauce.
- 18Arrange remaining eggplant slices over tomato sauce.
- 19and repeat with parmesan cheese and toppng with mozzarella cheese slice.
- 20Cover with remaining tomato sauce and sprinkle top with Parmesan cheese.
- 21Bake uncovered, 25 minutes or until cheese melts and top is browned.
- 22Remove from oven and let stand at least 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
- 24You may make ahead, bake, as above, and freeze.
- 25To cook/reheat: bake frozen at 350 degree oven, covered for 45 minutes.
- 26Remove cover, and bake an additional 15 minutes longer uncovered.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmigiana
Serving Size: 1 (475 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 548.7
- Calories from Fat 305
- Total Fat 33.9 g
- Saturated Fat 12.0 g
- Cholesterol 127.1 mg
- Sodium 1806.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.3 g
- Sugars 17.5 g
- Protein 29.7 g