Easy Eggplant (Aubergine) Parmigiana
Use your favourite marinara sauce! This is so easy and good you'll wonder why you avoided trying it. From "The Sopranos" The one hour of prep time includes 30 minutes of draining.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 medium eggplants (about 1 pound)
- olive oil or vegetable oil, for pan frying
- 2 1⁄2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1/2 cup romano cheese
- Trim the eggplants and cut them into 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Layer the slices in a colander, sprinkling each layer with salt.
- Let drain for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the eggplant and pat dry.
- Pour about 1/2 inch oil a large deep skillet and heat over medium heat.
- Fry the slices, in a single layer, turning once, until browned on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread a thin layer of tomato sauce in a shallow baking dish.
- Make a layer of eggplant slices, overlapping them slightly.
- Top with a layer of mozzarella, another layer of sauce, and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
- Repeat the layering, ending with eggplant, sauce, and grated cheese.
- Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbling and the mozzarella is melted.
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation