My grandmother NEVER told me this was eggplant, or I never would have eaten it. Darn it! I guess I really DO like eggplant. The nerve of her! Prep time includes time to allow eggplant "sweat" or drain.
- Lay out slices of eggplant on a large platter, and sprinkle with salt.
- Let sit for approx 1/2 an hour.
- Drain off water.
- Brown meat and onions.
- Add garlic, cook and stir for another minute, then drain.
- Combine tomatoes with remaining seasonings.
- Butter a casserole.
- Layer half beef mixture, eggplant, tomatoes.
- Bake in an 450°F oven for 1 hour.