Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Recipe from my friend from Thidabeau, la.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 large onion
- 1 large green pepper
- 4 teaspoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground sausage
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- 1 cup Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- Peel and dice egg plant, chop onion, green pepper, sauté in 2 t.olive oil until tender.
- Brown turkey and sausage.
- In a large casserole dish first layer rice,.
- Season with Cajun seasonings, add egg plant sausage mixture, add 1 cup of bread crumbs on top and drizzle with 2 t. olive oil.
- Bake 350° for 40 minutes.
I reduced the recipe by half and this still makes about 6 to 8 servings. Half a recipe made 2 small casseroles, 1 for now and the other for later. I used all ground turkey for the meat and added some sausage seasonings. It is a very well flavored dish; however, was a little dry for my taste. To the remaining dish, I may try adding in some broth. Also, I wasn't sure if it needed to cook uncovered or covered.