Recipe by Ed&Theresa
Created for RSC#11. Family loved this dish even the children. The eggplant look like little mini pizzas. Serve with crusty bread, salad and a glass of wine.
Top Review by NcMysteryShopper
Awesome! All the flavors were perfectly balanced and well integrated! I usually prefer a crisper eggplant that uses breadcrumbs and was surprised at how much we ALL enjoyed this recipe. We had plenty of sauce and plenty of eggplant (maybe our eggplant was bigger then most). What a fabulously creative use of contest ingredients! I would make this recipe again and I am positive that everyone in my house would cheer if I did (I don't usually make the same thing twice)Good Luck Chef! Wonderful Submission!
- 1 eggplant
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄8 cup olive oil
- 1 medium shallot (chopped)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 cups shredded asiago cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggplant and slice into 1/2 inches slices.
- Mix flour,salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Mix egg and milk in a different bowl.
- Heat 1/4 cup vegetable oil in a med frying pan.
- Dip eggplant slices into flour,egg/milk mixture and into flour again.
- Place 4 slices at a time into oil in frying pan.
- Fry eggplant on each side until each side is golden brown.
- Remove eggplant from pan and place on paper towels to drain.
- Wipe pan clean and repeat above process above to cook the rest of eggplant.
- In a medium saucepan add 1/8 cup olive oil, add chopped shallot, cook until tender.
- Add tomatoes, sugar, garlic, Italian seasoning and white wine. Cook on low heat for 10 minutes.
- In a 8x8 baking dish cover bottom with tomato mixture.
- Place a single layer of eggplant on bottom dish.
- Pour tomato mixture over eggplant.
- Sprinkle asiago cheese over top of tomatoes.
- Repeat process for next layers.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted.