Recipe by Latchy
This is based on an Iain Hewitson recipe and it is a nice change from veal parmigiano. Prep time takes in 15 minutes resting time.
Top Review by sugarpea
This was incredibly good and amazingly easy. Bet it didn't take 20 minutes to slice and put together. I didn't use any time to drain the unpeeled eggplant. I didn't use any oil, just cooking spray and forgot to add the balsamic. The Recipe #72684 that I keep in the freezer added plenty of oil to the finished dish. By the time our unexpected job was done the parmigiano was room temperature and positively delicious. I used Recipe #38125 that I also keep in the freezer. A 27* recipe, Latchy.
- 4 medium eggplants, sliced crosswise into 7 . 5 mm slices
- light olive oil
- mozzarella cheese, sliced
- basil pesto (your own or bottled)
- tomato puree (your own or favourite bottled)
- virgin olive oil
- balsamic vinegar
- 1 sprig basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200dC.
- Heat oil in a large pan until almost smoking and cook eggplant in 3 or 4 lots until golden on both sides.
- Drain well in kitchen towel.
- On a lightly oiled baking tray, reform the eggplants into a stack, putting a little pesto, tomato puree& cheese between the slices.
- Rest for 15 minutes to develop the flavours and then put in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Place eggplant on 4 plates, sprinkle with oil and balsamic and garnish with basil.
- If you want to make it really fancy put some pesto and tomato purée in a couple of squeeze bottles and make an attractive pattern on the plate with a little of each.