Prep 48 hrs
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This recipe is one of Chef Bradley Ogden from Caesers Palace in Las Vegas. It was in the Christmas Day LV Review Journal Newspaper.
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 vanilla bean, split
- 1⁄2 cup brandy
- 1⁄2 cup dark rum
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- fresh grated nutmeg
- Lightly beat egg yolks in a 2-quart, noncorrosive, stainless steel saucepan.
- Add 1 cup of the heavy cream, the half-and-half, the sugar and the salt to the beaten yolks and mix well.
- Add the vanilla bean.
- Set the saucepan over medium heat and stir the custard frequently until it thickens enough to coat the back of a spoon (about 180 degrees).
- Immediately remove the saucepan from the heat and strain the mixture through a fine strainer into a medium bowl and set over ice.
- Add the vanilla extract and nutmeg.
- Add brandy to the saucepan and heat over moderate heat until reduced by half.
- Add the reduced brandy to the custard with the remaining heavy cream and dark rum.
- Stir together.
- Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Freeze in an icecream freezer according to the manufactures directions.
- Makes 1 quart.
This is quite yummy. I tweaked it a little, using nonfat milk, half the sugar and egg yolks, and only a tablespoon and a half of each of the alcohols (didn't reduce the brandy). The alcohol was still quite strong and it still had that rich egg nog flavor. DH loved it!