Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
The perfect Christmas cookie! A MUST for eggnog lovers! A soft, buttery, eggnog cookie with a luscious dollop of creamy, pudding-like eggnog filling. Please note: cook time does not include chill time.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Beat the 2/3 cup butter in a mixing bowl on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
- Add sugar and nutmeg; beat until combined.
- Beat in egg yolks, vanilla, and eggnog.
- Beat in as much flour as you can. Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Cover and chill dough about 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape into 1-inch balls.
- Roll balls in egg whites, then in chopped walnuts.
- Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets.
- Press centers with your thumb.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For filling, beat the 1/4 cup butter until softened.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until fluffy. Beat in enough eggnog to make filling of spreading consistency.
- Spoon 1/2 teaspoon filling into center of each cookie.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg.
Really nice tasting cookie but the batter was quite runny even after several hours of chilling so I was unable to get them to stay in ball form. When baked, they flattened right out so I didn't bother to try to fill them.
I'll be honest I had my doubts about these after tasting one warm out of the oven but changed my mind after they were cooled and topped with the yummy filling! I used pecans because I always have them on hand. I will definitely make these again. Thank you! :)
Delicious cookie! I especially loved the rich and creamy filling. I didn't use the walnuts as my kids don't care for them. These cookies were a great addition to our tray of holiday sweets!