Recipe by Vishala M.
This recipe has been in my family for generations. We are vegetarians so most of our dishes are eggless. It is a very beautiful, moist, firm and delicious cake. It's great for birthday parties, celebrations, etc. Everyone loves it and I hope you guys like it too :)
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces soft margarine
- 1 1⁄2 cups skim milk or 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk, works just fine
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit/ 180 degrees Celcius.
- 2. Grease, line and grease two 9- inch layer cake tins.
- 3. Sift and measure dry ingredients into a very large bowl. Sift three times.
- 4. Melt margarine. Cool.
- 5. Add milk, vanilla essence and vinegar to margarine. Mix well.
- 6. Add liquid ingredients to dry ingredients.
- 7. Beat with electric mixer on low speed until well mixed (about 2-3 minutes) while constantly scraping bowl. (Batter should be of pouring consistency).
- 8. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit/ 180 degrees Celcius for about 20- 35 minutes.
- 10. cool cake for 10- 20 minutes before turning out.