Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
From the Ultimate Vegetarian Cookbook, this is one of our favorite light meals for those nights when we're just sick of eating so much meat. This one-dish recipe cooks up quick and easy and tastes great. Rice is better if made a day ahead but it works if you make it just before preparation too. It just tends to be a bit more sticky but it still tastes wonderful.
- Season the eggs and beat in the five spice powder, if using.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat one tablespoon of the oil and when quite hot, pour in the egg.
- Cook rather like an omelette, pulling the mixture away from the sides and allowing the rest to slip underneath.
- Cook the egg until firm and then tip out.
- Chop the'omelette' into small strips.
- Heat the remaining oil and stir-fry the onion, garlic, pepper and bean sprouts for about 2 mins.
- ,stirring and tossing continuously.
- Mix in the cooked rice and heat thoroughly, stirring well.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil then return the egg and mix in well.
- Serve immediately, piping hot.
This was wonderful for a light Sunday night supper! We made just as directed with the exception of only using 1/2 teaspoon of sesame oil. I only had chili sesame oil, so didn't want it too hot but it was just right! Thanks for sharing this keeper which we have on often!