From the Ultimate Vegetarian Cookbook, this is one of our favorite light meals for those nights when we're just sick of eating so much meat. This one-dish recipe cooks up quick and easy and tastes great. Rice is better if made a day ahead but it works if you make it just before preparation too. It just tends to be a bit more sticky but it still tastes wonderful.
- Season the eggs and beat in the five spice powder, if using.
- In a wok or large frying pan, heat one tablespoon of the oil and when quite hot, pour in the egg.
- Cook rather like an omelette, pulling the mixture away from the sides and allowing the rest to slip underneath.
- Cook the egg until firm and then tip out.
- Chop the'omelette' into small strips.
- Heat the remaining oil and stir-fry the onion, garlic, pepper and bean sprouts for about 2 mins.
- ,stirring and tossing continuously.
- Mix in the cooked rice and heat thoroughly, stirring well.
- Add the soy sauce and sesame oil then return the egg and mix in well.
- Serve immediately, piping hot.