Recipe by Chippie1
I came up with this recipe while searching for the perfect "Egg Drop Soup". My picky 9 year old likes it, so I feel it is kid friendly.
Top Review by Paka
I have made this several times and failed to review or rate the recipe. The time has come the walrus said.......This is a wonderful soup. I had to use the billion cubes so I omitted the salt. I also cut back on the number of eggs as I only had two but it was fun watching them cook when they hit the hot broth. I am making this again tonight as I have a cold and it sounds so good. I'm adding shrimp, green onion and the last carrot(shredded). Thanks for a great recipe.
- 4 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
Directions See How It's Made
- Reserve 3/4 cup of chicken broth, and pour the rest into a large saucepan.
- Stir the salt, ginger and chives into the saucepan, and bring to a rolling boil.
- In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining broth and cornstarch until smooth.
- Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and egg yolk together using a fork.
- Drizzle egg a little at a time from the fork into the boiling broth mixture.
- Egg should cook immediately.
- Once the eggs have been dropped, stir in the cornstarch mixture gradually until the soup is the desired consistency.