Recipe by Chef Joey Z.
I wanted to try making a Kuchen. I love peaches and this sounded perfect. The original recipe comes from The International Vegetarian Union.
Top Review by toolehemet
everyone really liked this one, fantastic crust!!! we used safflower oil, frozen peaches and had just enough toffuti cream cheese , got a gang out here so the recipe was tripled. Thanks! oh, also replaced sugar with zylitol, it's the rage! and it's good for your teeth : )
For the Crust
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup light oil
For the Filling
- 9 peaches, halved (peeled, fresh or canned and drained)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the golden topping
- 1 cup tofu sour cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- FOR THE CRUST.
- Place the flour, 1/4 cup sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Cut the oil into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or a fork until the mix is crumbly.
- Pat an even layer of the mixture into the bottom of a 8x8x2" baking glass baking dish.
- FOR THE FILLING.
- Place the peach halves in three rows of three cut side down over the bottom crust. Combine the remaining two tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the peaches.
- Put the Kuchen into the oven on the center rack and bake for 15 minutes.
- FOR THE GOLDEN CREAM TOPPING.
- Put the tofu sour cream, maple syrup and turmeric (if using) in a small mixing bowl and stir together until well combined.
- Once the kuchen is finished baking in the oven remove it and put the cream topping over the peaches.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Bon Appetit!