Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
I wanted to try making a Kuchen. I love peaches and this sounded perfect. The original recipe comes from The International Vegetarian Union.
For the Crust
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached cane sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon non-aluminum baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup light oil
For the Filling
- 9 peaches, halved (peeled, fresh or canned and drained)
- 2 tablespoons unbleached cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the golden topping
- 1 cup tofu sour cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1⁄8 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350'F.
- FOR THE CRUST.
- Place the flour, 1/4 cup sugar and baking powder in a large mixing bowl and stir together.
- Cut the oil into the flour mixture using a pastry blender or a fork until the mix is crumbly.
- Pat an even layer of the mixture into the bottom of a 8x8x2" baking glass baking dish.
- FOR THE FILLING.
- Place the peach halves in three rows of three cut side down over the bottom crust. Combine the remaining two tablespoons of sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over the peaches.
- Put the Kuchen into the oven on the center rack and bake for 15 minutes.
- FOR THE GOLDEN CREAM TOPPING.
- Put the tofu sour cream, maple syrup and turmeric (if using) in a small mixing bowl and stir together until well combined.
- Once the kuchen is finished baking in the oven remove it and put the cream topping over the peaches.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold.
- Bon Appetit!
everyone really liked this one, fantastic crust!!! we used safflower oil, frozen peaches and had just enough toffuti cream cheese , got a gang out here so the recipe was tripled. Thanks! oh, also replaced sugar with zylitol, it's the rage! and it's good for your teeth : )