Recipe by MWade1
My Mother used to make these eclairs all the time. They are always a hit!
Top Review by 940288
Made these eclairs for a family dinner and they were loved by all. I made them slightly smaller and got 15 shells. Recipe is technically easy with great directions. I will be making these often.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 (5 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 2 1⁄2 cups cold milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 (1 ounce) semi-sweet chocolate baking squares
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 -3 tablespoons hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, combine butter and water.
- Bring to a rapid boil, stirring until the butter melts.
- Reduce heat to low; add flour and salt.
- Stir vigorously until mixture leaves the sides of the pan and forms a stiff ball.
- Remove from heat.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- With a tablespoon or a pastry tube fitted with a No. 10 or larger tip, spoon or pipe dough into 4-in.-long x 1-1/2-in.-wide strips on a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 450° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 325°; bake 20 minutes longer.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- For filling, combine pudding mix and milk; mix according to package directions.
- In another bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Beat in sugar and vanilla; fold into pudding.
- Fill cooled shells. (Chill remaining pudding for another use.)
- For icing, melt chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in sugar.
- Add hot water until icing is smooth and reaches desired consistency.
- Cool slightly.
- Spread over eclairs.
- Chill until serving.