Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
We make this easy pasta salad a lot in the summer - it's delicious at room temp or cold on hot days, and there's no mayo in it, so it travels well, too. We also make this during the winter, to remember what summer tasted like. It makes a great light lunch or dinner. Adapted from a Gourmet recipe.
- 1⁄2 lb penne (or rotini, radiatore, bowtie, etc)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, for juice and zest
- 1⁄4 cup packed fresh basil leaf
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna in olive oil, not drained (or 6-ounces tuna in water, plus approximately 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil of your choice)
- tomato, chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- parmesan cheese, grated or shredded (optional)
- hot sauce or Tabasco sauce, to taste (optional)
- toasted pignolis or walnuts (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Cook pasta to al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, finely grate enough lemon zest to measure 1 tablespoon and squeeze 1 teaspoon juice (or more, to taste) Mince garlic.
- Cut basil into thin strips.
- Chop scallions and tomatoes.
- Toast and chop nuts.
- In a large bowl toss together all ingredients except for pasta.
- Check and correct seasoning, lemon juice, and amount of olive oil.
- When pasta is done, add it to bowl and toss with combined ingredients.
- Check and correct seasonings again.