Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a condiment for sandwiches, hamburgers, or hot dogs. Also can be a great topping for cooked fish, chicken, or beef. You can adjust the sweetness with the amount of sugar.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 -2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- In a large skillet, combine the olive oil and the red onion over medium low heat. Cook until softened, about 5-10 minutes.
- Lower the heat, and add the tomatoes, brown sugar, and vinegar. Cook until thickened, about 10 more minutes.
This was OK but rather bland. The relish smells very good but when tasting it we were disappointed. Made exactly as stated and used 11/2 tablespoon brown sugar.
I would recommend to use 2 tablespoons sugar and maybe some red pepper flakes to perk it up a bit.
Tanks for posting.
Made for My-Three-Chefs, June 2012.