Recipe by KLHquilts
This is a fairly good approximation of a Thai sauce; all of the ingredients are available at your standard Kroeger/Ralph's/Shaw's kind of supermarket.
Top Review by Naomi85
This was wonderful! I made it pretty much as written, although I didn't bother with the pasta -- just had it as a stir-fry. I loved the combination of garlic, lime, and brown sugar. This sauce could be used over just about anything. It was really good -- thanks for posting it!
- 1⁄4 cup natural chunky peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (tamari)
- 3 tablespoons tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1 lime, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (dark is better)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili paste with garlic (see note)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons peanuts, roasted and chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 10 snow peas, diagonally sliced into thin shreds
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lb spaghetti (see note)
Directions See How It's Made
- NOTE re: chili paste: Look in the international food aisle; there are now several brands of Thai chili paste with garlic available.
- NOTE re: spaghetti: You can use spaghetti or angel hair pasta, or rice noodles, or anything you like. I use whole wheat spaghetti.
- TO MAKE SAUCE: Place peanut butter in medium-sized bowl. With fork stir in soy sauce, tomato sauce/puree, sherry, lime zest, lime juice, brown sugar, and chili paste.
- Heat oil in small saucepan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute. Stir in the peanut sauce and keep warm over low heat. Do not let the sauce simmer (or, heavens forbid, boil -- it will be too thick to use. Just keep it warm. (You can also prepare the sauce a few hours in advance and reheat it.).
- Combine the vegetables and peanuts in a bowl and set aside.
- Cook your pasta of choice according to directions. After draining, place in large bowl. Pour the sauce on the noodles and toss. Sprinkle the vegetables across the top and mix lightly. Serve immediately.
- You can add cooked chicken or shrimp, or any other combination of vegetables you like.