Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
This is what I would serve at a typical supper here at my house when I am pressed for time and need something fast and filling. I have used ground turkey or ground chicken with great results but there is no reason that you could not use plain old ground beef. Hope you like it!
- 1 lb ground turkey or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 10 ounces tomatoes and green chilies, undrained (Rotel)
- 14 ounces pinto beans, drained
- 1 cup corn kernel
- 10 ounces tortilla chips
- 2 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown meat, onion and garlic in large skillet until no pink remains and onion is clear. Drain grease.
- Add spices, tomatoes, beans and corn and mix well.
- Continue to cook over medium heat until some of the liquid has evaporated. You want a little liquid but not alot- like a sloppy joe mixture.
- In an 8x8 greased pan crush a handful of chips and place on the bottom of the pan, adding more chips until you have a good layer. **** I like to get it as dry as possible here so that it holds together like a lasagna. PLEASE use your taste and judgment here and make it as dry or as liquid as you like. :)
- Layer meat mixture on top of chips.
- Crush some more chips and place on top of meat. Press down on chip layer to draw some moisture into the top layer of chips.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake at 350F for about 20 minutes or until cheese is thoroughly melted.