1/2 Photos of Easy Sticky-Toffee Dessert
Beth McClain's Note:
I found this in Nigella Lawson's "Nigella Bites" cookbook last night when I was searching for an easy but oh so good dessert...I love toffee pudding dessert things and this looked good...I also had all the ingredients for it. This is easy and can be thrown together when you're making other dishes and then cook while you're eating dinner...enjoy--
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
For the cake
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup self-rising flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup chopped rolled dates, plus
- 2 tablespoons chopped rolled dates (optional...I don't like dates, so I didn't use them)
For the sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 375°F and butter a 1 1/2-quart capacity baking dish (I used a combo of Pam and butter and it worked fine).
- 2Combine the sugar with the flour in a large bowl.
- 3Pour the milk into a measuring cup, beat in the egg, vanilla and melted buter and then pour this mixture over the sugar and flour, stirring--just with a wooden spoon--to combine.
- 4Fold in the dates then scrape into the prepared baking dish.
- 5*Don't worry if it doesn't look very full: it will do by the time it cooks*.
- 6Sprinkle the sugar for the sauce over the batter and dot with the butter.
- 7Pour the boiling water over the whole thing (yes, really!) and transfer to the oven.
- 8Set timer for 45 minutes, though you might find the dessert needs 5 or 10 minutes more (this was a frustrating part, for whatever reason I ended up having to put it back in for almost 20 minutes-- but then it was very cake-like, Remember that it thickens up when you take it out).
- 9The top of the dessert should be springy and spongy when it's cooked; underneath, the butter, dark brown sugar and boiling water will have turned into a rich, sticky sauce.
- 10Serve with vanilla ice cream, creme fraiche or heavy or light cream as you wish.
Browse Our Top Puddings and Mousses Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Puddings and Mousses Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Sticky-Toffee Dessert
Serving Size: 1 (162 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 421.8
- Calories from Fat 119
- Total Fat 13.2 g
- Saturated Fat 7.9 g
- Cholesterol 63.5 mg
- Sodium 332.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 73.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 53.2 g
- Protein 4.6 g