Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
It wouldn't be the holidays without it! My mom's recipe and an easy holiday tradition using packaged stuffing mix. The first steps can be done ahead of time and refrigerated.
- 4 celery ribs
- 1 white onion
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 (16 ounce) packagecrumb seasoned stuffing mix, like pepperidge farms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage, no more
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Prepare a small dice of celery and onion, and saute with butter until soft.
- Remove from pan and reserve. Add crumbled sausage to pan and cook through.
- Drain sausage on paper towels and combine with celery mixture. This can now be refrigerated until you are ready to stuff the turkey.
- When you are ready to stuff the turkey combine celery mixture, sausage, stuffing mix and sage in a large bowl.
- Add chicken broth a little at a time just until stuffing is moist, not mushy or runny.
- Rinse turkey and empty the cavity. Place turkey in roasting pan.
- Fill the body cavity with stuffing mixture. Also fill the cavity at the neck under the skin with stuffing. Pat any additional stuffing between the turkey legs. Prepare turkey as desired.
- To cook in a casserole dish instead of stuffing the turkey, place stuffing mixture in a greased casserole dish and bake according to package directions. If stuffing is drying out dot with butter and add small amounts of broth to moisten.
This is wounderful! The only thing I changed was that I added 1 Tbsp. dried parsley and 1/2 tsp of Marjoram and thyme. I didn't drain the sausage because I wanted the extra flavor in the stuffing. I just mixed everything up after browning the sausage and sauteing the celery and onion and baked it in a well buttered casserole dish. I covered it for the first 15 minutes and then uncovered it for about another 20 minutes so it would get a little crisp on top. It was delicious! This is now my standard stuffing recipe I'll make for the holiday's. Thank You, This is delicious!!!
We had just the three of us for Thanksgiving dinner this year so this fit the bill exactly. We liked it a lot. Would definately recommend.
My mom who is no longer here with us made it exactly this way,<br/>I'm going to give it a try this year and see how it taste..<br/>thank you..