Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
A easy delicious cake/dessert.
- 1 (18 ounce) package lemon cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix) or 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut up 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 teaspoons minute tapioca
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert or 1 (3 ounce) package raspberry Jell-O gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13inch pan.
- Mix together Rhubarb, tapioca, sugar and package of DRY jello (NO WATER) and pour into prepared pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions (adding the lemon extract to the wet ingredients) and pour over Rhubarb mixture.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Serve with whipped cream or ice cream.
Awesome! I did let the rhubarb sit in the sugar, jello and tapioca for a half hour and it had started to get nice and gooey by that time. Tasted fantastic, and easy to make. The crowd at work raved about it!
This was a hit!! I love that it uses 4 cups of rhubarb. I will be making this again and when I do, I will make it a more generous (heaping) 4 cups. It also does not need an hour to bake the cake. Following the baking instructions on the box will be adequate. I cut the time down to 45 minutes because the top of the cake was getting brown. Probably 40 minutes is enough.
Growing up my mom would make Strawberry & Rhubarb crisp and it was always my favourite dessert; this one is definitely its competition!! OMG this was amazing! The changes I made was adding a teaspoon of lemon extract to the wet ingredients for the cake mix, substituting 2 cups rhubarb with strawberries and mixing 1/2 the sugar in with the fruit because I like the tartness of rhubarb; and it was a hit!