A easy delicious cake/dessert.
Make and share this Easy Rhubarb Upside Down Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1 (18 ounce) package lemon cake mix or 1 (18 ounce) package white cake mix
- 3 eggs (or as called for by your cake mix) or 3 egg whites (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1⁄3 cup oil (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water (or as called for by your cake mix)
- 4 cups rhubarb, cut up 1/2 inch pieces
- 6 teaspoons minute tapioca
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 (3 ounce) package strawberry Jell-O gelatin dessert or 1 (3 ounce) package raspberry Jell-O gelatin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9x13inch pan.
- Mix together Rhubarb, tapioca, sugar and package of DRY jello (NO WATER) and pour into prepared pan.
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions and pour over Rhubarb mixture.
- Bake 1 hour.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Awesome! I did let the rhubarb sit in the sugar, jello and tapioca for a half hour and it had started to get nice and gooey by that time. Tasted fantastic, and easy to make. The crowd at work raved about it!
This was a hit!! I love that it uses 4 cups of rhubarb. I will be making this again and when I do, I will make it a more generous (heaping) 4 cups. It also does not need an hour to bake the cake. Following the baking instructions on the box will be adequate. I cut the time down to 45 minutes because the top of the cake was getting brown. Probably 40 minutes is enough.
This was very easy! Overall - the cake could have been better though....<br/>My tapioca also did not cook (and yes, I let it sit in the rhubarb/sugar/jello mixture for a little over 30 minutes before pouring into the cake pan.) Thing is - I really do not think you need the tapioca with the jello in there. Mine set-up quite nicely even with the uncooked tapioca. It was not too liquidy at all. I used lemon cake and the flavor was great! A nice combo. I will try this again completely omitting the tapioca and submit another review. If that works - I would give this 4 - 4.5 stars with the adjustment.