Recipe by BryanNH
A simple and easy version of Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo (Rice and Chicken), based on a Bobby Flay recipe used on his show "Throw Down"
Top Review by carmen*m
This was wonderful! I grew up eating Puerto Rican food with family but never really learned how to make it on my own. I figured I woud give this recipe a shot and it was perfect. The meat fell right off the bone. Instead of using the recommened amount of adodo, I used half and the other half used Sazon which made it just right and not as salty. I will keep in this in my cookbook and plan on using it many more times in the future.
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 1⁄2 medium onion
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 6 chicken thighs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon adobo seasoning
- 2 tablespoons oregano
- 2 cups white rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice the peppers and onions into 1/8" by 1/8" pieces, or a little larger if you wish.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Set aside.
- The Adobo seasoning this recipe mentions is not the one RecipeZaar thinks it is. It is the one you will find in the Mexican food area with the tacos and other Mexiocan inspired foods. For all reference of it in this recipe, season to taste as it is salty.
- Season the chicken with Adobo seasoning and oregano.
- Brown the chicken in the pan you will cook the dish in (large pot, tall enough to hold everything together when finished cooking).
- Remove the chicken and add in your sofrito (the diced peppers, onions, and cilantro), some adobo seasoning to taste, and sautee until the onions become slightly translucent.
- Stir the rice into the mixture.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Add the browned chicken.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, put lid on the pan, and cook for 40 minutes. High altitude may need to add an additional 5 - 8 minutes cooking time.
- DO NOT open the lid to check on it. Just be sure that you have it at a simmer when you put the lid on.
- When the time is up, open to reveal the most incredible Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo!
- You may also add 1lb of smoked sausage to give this an additional layer of flavor. Substitute 1c chicken stock for water if you do to cut down on the saltiness.