A simple and easy version of Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo (Rice and Chicken), based on a Bobby Flay recipe used on his show "Throw Down"
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Dice the peppers and onions into 1/8" by 1/8" pieces, or a little larger if you wish.
- 2Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- 3Set aside.
- 4The Adobo seasoning this recipe mentions is not the one RecipeZaar thinks it is. It is the one you will find in the Mexican food area with the tacos and other Mexiocan inspired foods. For all reference of it in this recipe, season to taste as it is salty.
- 5Season the chicken with Adobo seasoning and oregano.
- 6Brown the chicken in the pan you will cook the dish in (large pot, tall enough to hold everything together when finished cooking).
- 7Remove the chicken and add in your sofrito (the diced peppers, onions, and cilantro), some adobo seasoning to taste, and sautee until the onions become slightly translucent.
- 8Stir the rice into the mixture.
- 9Add the chicken stock.
- 10Add the browned chicken.
- 11Bring to a boil.
- 12Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer, put lid on the pan, and cook for 40 minutes. High altitude may need to add an additional 5 - 8 minutes cooking time.
- 13DO NOT open the lid to check on it. Just be sure that you have it at a simmer when you put the lid on.
- 14When the time is up, open to reveal the most incredible Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo!
- 15You may also add 1lb of smoked sausage to give this an additional layer of flavor. Substitute 1c chicken stock for water if you do to cut down on the saltiness.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Puerto Rican Arroz Con Pollo (Rice and Chicken)
Serving Size: 1 (369 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 499.2
- Calories from Fat 150
- Total Fat 16.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 83.7 mg
- Sodium 308.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 25.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: