Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an easy curry recipe. You can eat it with rice, or you can use it as a samosa stuffing. After you make it, let the flavors marry a bit before eating.
- 3 lbs potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 2 teaspoons black mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seed
- 1 -2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 10 ounces chopped spinach
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Steam or boil the potatoes in salted water until very tender.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large dutch oven put the oil, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds.
- Heat over high heat until the mustard seeds have popped for a few seconds.
- Quickly stir in the garlic.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add the spinach (fresh or frozen) and stir-fry until tender, adding a couple Tablespoons of water if needed.
- If the spinach is still half frozen, that doesn't matter, just add it anyway.
- Once the spinach is cooked, stir in the turmeric, cayenne, salt, curry powder and garam masala.
- When everything is well blended, add the cooked potatoes and mix until the spinach mixture is evenly distributed with the potatoes.
- Turn off heat and sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Gentle stir.
- Instead of spinach, you can also make this with watercress or fenugreek (methi) leaves.
I made this last night and it really rocked! I had some baby yukon golds to use up and it turned out wonderfully! Now, I don't have to spend so much money at my local Indian restaurant to get this! I turned down the heat by 1/2, but other than that, I followed the recipe as is...It was wonderful! My husband also enjoyed it! Thanks for sharing!