1/1 Photo of Easy Peasy Apple Puff Pie
Um Safia's Note:
As a general rule my family prefers a traditional apple pie made with a sweet shortcrust pastry. However, from time to time I like to make a pie using puff pastry for an altogether lighter dessert. I always make my pastry from scratch, even phyllo, but for me, puff pastry never seems economical to make at home. Here I have used a pack of refrigerated puff pastry dough, but if you make your own puff pastry at home, feel free to use it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove your puff pastry form the packaging. Dust a work surface generously with some flour.
- 2Cut you block of pastry in 1/2. With the first half, roll the pastry out to a circle approximately 12" -13".
- 3Rub the margarine all over the inside of a 10" pie dish. Make sure you grease all the way up the inner sides so that the pie does not stick.
- 4Carefully lift the circle of dough (use the rolling pin to help you) from the work surface & place it in the pie dish.
- 5With your fingertips, gently coax the pastry into place. Make sure that the pastry is flush with base & sides of the pie dish. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork a few times.
- 6Spoon the applesauce into the pastry case.
- 7Peel & core the apples. Cut into slices, no thicker than 5mm & lay them over the applesauce, be sure to cover all the applesauce.
- 8Dust your worksurface again with more flour & roll out the 2nd piece of pastry dough -- you need to have the pastry about 10"-11"; diameter.
- 9Brush the top edges of the pastry lining the pie dish with a little of the beaten egg & carefully lay the 2nd piece of pastry dough over the apples.
- 10If you have any leftover pieces of dough, re-roll them & cut out freeform leaf shapes and spheres & stick them to the top of the pie with a little of the beaten egg.
- 11Make a few small slits with a small knife -- these are to allow the steam to escape.
- 12Brush the pie with the beaten egg & sprinkle with the brown sugar.
- 13Bake at 220C for 30-45 minutes or until the pie is a deep golden colour, has risen well & has visible, flaky layers.
- 14Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream or custard!
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy Peasy Apple Puff Pie
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 641.9
- Calories from Fat 313
- Total Fat 34.8 g
- Saturated Fat 8.7 g
- Cholesterol 31.0 mg
- Sodium 257.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 26.2 g
- Protein 7.7 g