- 1⁄4-1⁄3 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil (or bacon drippings)
- 1 1⁄4 cups parboiled long-grain rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onion in olive oil until tender; add rice and continue sautéing for 3-5 minutes until rice becomes opaque.
- Add chicken broth, tomato sauce, and seasonings; bring to boil then reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 20-25 minutes until rice is cooked.
- Remove pan from heat; let stand covered for 5 minutes until liquid is absorbed; fluff with fork and serve.
- Note: My best ever success with this recipe was achieved using bacon drippings for sautéing, rounded measuring scoops of rice, and only a half can (4 ounces) of tomato sauce with water added to almost fill the can.