Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a wonderful recipe, I adapted it from Lebanease Cuisine. Pop the meat in the freezer to make it easy to slice. I usually get 20-24 thin slices from 1/2 lb of meat. Serve it with hummus (chickpea dip), baba ghanoush (eggplant dip), dice tomatoes, pita, and good red wine, and you will have a wonderful meal.
- 1 lb beef sirloin steak, thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- Put the thin meat slices in a ziptop bag. Add all the spices, close the bag and shake. Open the bag, add the wine, oil, and vinegar. Close bag and shake.
- Place bag in a bowl in the fridge for 6 to 24 hours.
- Remove meat slices from bag (make sure you leave the liquid in the bag) and place on a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil in a single layer.
- Preheat oven to 350 F, and bake slice for 15-20 minutes (depending on how thin your meat slices are).
I don't usually rate recipes I don't care for, but this was so far from any Shawarma I've ever eaten that Zaar readers need to know if they're looking for a true shawarma recipe - this isn't it.