Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
Of all the salads listed by the same name, none are as simple as the recipe I always use. (Remember, I'm a lazy cook!!)
- 1⁄2 head iceberg lettuce
- 1 (8 ounce) can mandarin orange pieces, drained
- 1⁄4 cup sliced almonds (or slivered, see note)
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- For dressing: mix oil, vinegar and sugar in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Tear lettuce into serving bowl. Add mandarin slices and almonds.
- Mix in dressing, adding only as much as desired.
- Serve. Garnish with green onion if desired.
- *Note: You can toast almonds in a frying pan until brown, stirring regularly -- especially when they start getting dark. I also usually add a generous sprinkling of sugar to candy the almonds. The almonds will be soft when you take them off the element, but once they cool, they'll become crispy. You'll also have fun cleaning the pan!