Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
All the wonderful fall vegetables makes this soup so tasty. An easy weekend meal served with a nice warm, crusty bread roll!
- 1 -2 bacon, bones
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 large onion
- 1 turnip
- 1 parsnip
- 1 zucchini
- 2 large potatoes
- 3 carrots
- 3 stalks celery, with the leaves
- 1 piece pumpkin, a good sized chunk,to taste
- 3⁄4 cup pearl barley or 3⁄4 cup barley soup mix
- 1 tablespoon instant bouillon granules
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Peel and chop all the vegetables to preferred sizes.
- Saute the onion in olive oil, add garlic after a few minutes.
- Add chopped celery and carrot and saute together until soft.
- Sprinkle in some stock powder and some water if it is sticking (it adds a lovely flavour when it scoops up all the crispy bits!) Add the bacon bones to about 1 liter of water and the stock powder.
- Bring to a boil, add all the vegetables, the soup mix and any further seasoning that you might like, like salt and pepper, mixed herbs, 1/2 tsp.
- chili flakes.
- Once it boils again, reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer for about and hour to an hour and a half.
- Make sure you keep stirring now and then so the barley does not stick, and keep adding water as it reduces down.
- Remove the bacon bones, leaving all that lovely flavour-- I then pop the soup into the blender, puree until smooth and refrigerate after it has cooled overnight.
- Reheat the next day.