This is a very simple chowder that will get raves from your guests. This is my own recipe and I encourage experimentation and modifications!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 2 small potatoes, diced, skin on (Yukon Gold, preferably)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 ounce sherry wine
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
- 1 1/2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- salt & pepper
- dried parsley
- 1Cook bacon, reserving about 1-2 tbls fat.
- 2Drain clams, reserving the liquid. If you use clams from the seafood counter, and you'll need about 3/4 lb, either ask them for some clam juice or buy a bottle of it.
- 3In 3-qt saucepan, add bacon fat and cook onions over medium-high heat until just soft.
- 4Deglaze with sherry, stirring the mixture thoroughly.
- 5Add diced potatoes and sauté for a minute or two, then add clam juice. If clam juice doesn't completely cover the potatoes, add water.
- 6Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 7Stir in soup, then add half & half. Reduce heat to medium-low and add clams.
- 8Add thyme and celery seed.
- 9Chop bacon and stir in, along with butter and a couple pinches of dried parsley.
- 10Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- 11Simmer over low heat for an additional 15 minute.
- 12If necessary, thicken with 1 tbl corn starch dissolved in 1/8 c cold water.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Easy & Delicious Clam Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (297 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 591.2
- Calories from Fat 279
- Total Fat 31.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.2 g
- Cholesterol 128.7 mg
- Sodium 1565.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 4.2 g
- Protein 31.1 g