Recipe by Chadley25
This is a very simple chowder that will get raves from your guests. This is my own recipe and I encourage experimentation and modifications!
- 4 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 medium onion, diced
- 2 small potatoes, diced, skin on (Yukon Gold, preferably)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans minced clams
- 1 ounce sherry wine
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of potato soup
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- salt & pepper
- dried parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon, reserving about 1-2 tbls fat.
- Drain clams, reserving the liquid. If you use clams from the seafood counter, and you'll need about 3/4 lb, either ask them for some clam juice or buy a bottle of it.
- In 3-qt saucepan, add bacon fat and cook onions over medium-high heat until just soft.
- Deglaze with sherry, stirring the mixture thoroughly.
- Add diced potatoes and sauté for a minute or two, then add clam juice. If clam juice doesn't completely cover the potatoes, add water.
- Bring to a boil, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Stir in soup, then add half & half. Reduce heat to medium-low and add clams.
- Add thyme and celery seed.
- Chop bacon and stir in, along with butter and a couple pinches of dried parsley.
- Adjust to taste with salt and pepper.
- Simmer over low heat for an additional 15 minute.
- If necessary, thicken with 1 tbl corn starch dissolved in 1/8 c cold water.