Recipe by hepcat1
I use this recipe to make my Stars and Stripes Berry Trifle. It comes together very easily; I sometimes reduce the sugar by a tablespoon if I'm in the mood for something a bit less sweet, but either way it's delicious! Cooking time includes time to chill. Note: If you use this recipe to make the trifle, be sure to double it to get the needed four cups.
Top Review by Lynntwin11
This was delicious, and very easy to make. My guests were practically licking the bowl! I used the custard with the Stars and Stripes Berry Trifle recipe. I made the custard the night before, which saved time. This is a new favorite for my family.
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 pinch table salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, COLD, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat cream, 6 T. sugar and salt in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until simmering, stirring occasionally to dissolve sugar.
- Meanwhile, whisk egg yolks in medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Whisk in remaining 2 T. sugar until sugar begins to dissolve. Whisk in cornstarch until misture is pale yellow and thick, about 30 seconds.
- When cream mixture reaches full simmer, gradually whisk half into yolk mixture to temper. Return mixture to saucepan, scraping bowl with rubber spatula; return to simmer over medim heat, whisking constantly, until 3 or 4 bubbles burst on surface and mixture is thickened, about 1 minute.
- Off heat, whisk in butter and vanilla. Transfer mixture to bowl, press plastic wrap directly on surface and refrigerate until set, at least 3 hours or up to 2 days.