Rich Chocolate Baked Custard
Creamy chocolate custard...Mmmm! This recipe makes me think of my mom-it's her kind of comfort food. This is another recipe that can easily be made dairy free and I've done it successfully.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, very hot (or regular soy milk)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Lightly grease a 1 quart baking dish or 4 ramekins.
- Preaheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Fill a 9x13 pan with 1 inch hot water and put it in the oven.
- Beat the eggs just enough to blend.
- Stir in the sugar, cocoa, and salt.
- Slowly add the hot milk, stirring constantly.
- Stir in the vanilla.
- Pour into the baking dish or ramekins and place in the pan with hot water.
- Bake 55-60 minutes until a knife comes out clean.
- It will firm up as it cools.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Absolutely delicious. I like my chocolate desserts lightly sweet with a prominent cocoa flavor, so this was PERFECT. My kids loved it. Made a double batch. I added an extra egg since I saw an earlier comment mention it had a loose set. My kids, who hate dark chocolate, both ate this eagerly. I added a scoop of chocolate casein powder (a protein powder), because I also like my custards quite stiff. I will keep this recipe for the rest of my life. This became my new, all-time favorite comfort food.Reply
Mmmmmm!!!! This was the first I ever made custard and it turned out perfect!! It is so delicious! I like it a little sweeter so next time I will add a little more sugar but otherwise it is great!! Will definitely be using this recipe more often. It is very easy to make. No complicated instructions! Just perfect all around!1Reply
see 5 more