Recipe by robd16
A Brazilian recipe that everyone says is better than the original, this is the one that people ask me to make again and again. It should have a texture like silk if done properly, the vanilla is optional and to be honest is just as good without.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 pint milk
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 140C and boil a full kettle.
- Put everything in the blender APART from the cup of sugar.
- Blend until completely smooth and let it settle.
- Now melt the sugar over a low/medium heat in a dry frying pan. Be careful it doesn't burn and only stir once it has started to turn light brown and syrupy.
- Working quickly, pour the caramel into a 2 pint ceramic dish and swirl around to cover the bottom, be careful as melted sugar can give nasty burns.
- With a spoon, give the mixture in the blender a stir to try and get any air bubbles out and pour over the caramel mixture.
- Place dish in a roasting tin and pour boiling water to come half way up the sides of the creme caramel dish.
- Bake gently for 30 - 40 minutes or until a knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Once cooled, refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours in a cold fridge.
- To serve, carefully run a knife around the edges, place a large serving platter or plate on top and turn upside down. It should just come out without too much hassle and you'll notice the caramel has doubled in volume.