Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
If you love curry then you will enjoy this rice dish! You can increase the curry if desired. Throw in some dark raisins too. Prep time does not include cooking the chicken.
- 236.59 ml rice (cooked)
- 59.14 ml oil (can use less, but do not use olive oil)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml minced garlic
- 14.78-19.71 ml curry powder (can use more)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 59.14 ml flour
- 473.18 ml half-and-half cream or 473.18 ml full-fat milk
- 473.18 ml frozen peas
- 3-4 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 14.79 ml fresh lemon juice
- 709.77 ml cooked chicken breasts, chopped
- black pepper
- Set oven to 375 degrees.
- Grease an 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- In a frypan, saute the onion, garlic, salt and curry for about 4 minutes.
- Whisk in flour.
- Add in half and half (1/4-cup at a time) bring to a boil then reduce the heat immediately, and continue cooking whisking frequently for about another 5 minutes, or until sauce thickens.
- In a bowl combine cooked rice, peas, carrots, red bell pepper, lemon juice and cooked chicken, and add in to the sauce in the frypan; toss to combine.
- Season with black pepper to taste.
- Transfer the mixture to prepared baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake for another 10 minutes longer.
I made this delicious casserole for dinner tonight. My husband and I loved it. It took a bit of time cutting up but other than that, it was an easy recipe. Clear instructions and ingredients that are often on-hand. The changes I made were: frozen beans instead of peas, added more curry than the recipe called for and I used slightly watered down coffee cream since I didn't have half-and-half. I served creamed sweet potatoes on the side and extra rice in case anyone wanted to "tone" down the curry. Loved by all (even my 7 month-old had a taste)!
I was in a pickle and needed something to make so I made this. It was pretty good but I'd probably make a few changes. I think it was baked too much and I'd probably add some potatoes and pour the mix over the rice rather than cook together but it was still really good. I'm glad I made it.
Loved this recipe, very tasty!