Recipe by Ed&Theresa
Submitted for RSC#10 Serve with crusty bread.
Top Review by sundown24
Very good, homemade soup. The whole family loved it. It was very easy too. I followed the entire recipe except I used 3 chicken tenderloins. I just cut them into strips, added them when I added the barley, scooped them out after 10 minutes, let them cool for 5 minutes, and then shredded them by hand & added them back to the soup to cook for another 5 minutes.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄2 small red onion (chopped)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1⁄3 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1⁄3 cup frozen corn
- 1 (12 1/2 ounce) can chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan combine chicken broth, water, tomatoes, celery, carrots and onion.
- Bring to boil, then reduce to simmer, add bay leaf and parsley simmer for about 90 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- When vegetables are tender, bring to boil, add barley and corn, reduce heat to simmer for about 10 minutes or until barley is cooked.
- In a bowl, break up chicken by hand add pepper. Add chicken to soup, simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf, serve and add salt and pepper to taste.