Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I love the flavor of chives in this dish! It just goes so well with the potatoes. And it's so cheesy. Mmmmm.... :)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 8 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Spray a medium sized casserole with cooking spray.
- Layer casserole with potatoes, onions, cheese, and a sprinkling of chives; season layer with salt and pepper to taste, and dot with butter.
- Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- Pour milk over layers.
- Bake, covered with a lid or foil at 325F for 45 minutes; uncover and bake 30-35 minutes further or until potatoes are tender, and top is golden.
- Note: if you have difficulty browning top, place under broiler for a minute or so.
Here I go again with my neighbors again but being single I find them good friends who are always willing to try new recipes with me. You were right about the chives. Absolutely great! We all agreed that this deserves a well earned rating because of the taste but we also think a bit of thickener could be added due to ours came out somewhat runny. Don't get me wrong here...this was GOOD. I recommend it highly to everyone. Nice recipe and thank you for it!! Chuck W
Yummy!!!! Not sure how much flour I used, I just sprinkled it when I was doing the layers... then poured the milk over all of it. Was just great! Very simple to put together. Thank you for posting Sue! I will use this recipe often! Made for Potluck tag.
These were delicious! It took me way longer than 15 minutes for prep, but I am a beginner. I did use the 1/4 cup of flour as suggested in the previous comment (just whisked it into the milk before pouring over the top) and they were a good consistency. Used green onions because I couldn't find chives and they worked fine. Thank you for a great recipe!