Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This goes with Easy Caramel Cake - ATK also posted here. Wait to start frosting until cake is completely cooled; frosting must be spread while cool.
- 2 cups packed dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, unsalted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut in pieces
- Place in saucepan over med heat; let it melt. Cook until a ring of little bubbles appears around the edge of melted sugar/butter mixture.
- Whisk in ½ cup heavy cream. Cook until bubbles reappear. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 tsp vanilla.
- Pour into mixer bowl. Add 1 ½ cups sifted powdered sugar. Beat at medium speed until combined; add ½ stick butter cut in pieces, beat until smooth and color is lighter. Frosting will still be a little warm.
- Place 3/4 cup frosting on top of bottom layer. Add 2nd layer and frost with remaining icing. Do this quickly so it doesn’t set up before you finish spreading.