Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I'm revising the introduction to this recipe based on a discussion with 8 Polish "senior" ladies at the General Sikorski Hall in Oshawa, Ontario who were making cabbage rolls for a weekend banquet. Their advice: Use small, new cabbages as they will be more tender, easier to roll & cook better. Purchase your cabbage in advance, boil it for about 5 minutes, put into the freezer, core and boil again just before you follow this recipe. I use any leftover cabbage in my Polish Cabbage Casserole for "Polish Cabbage Casserole"!
- 1 medium cabbage
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 beaten egg
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1 (14 ounce) can V8 vegetable juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Prepare the cabbage according to the recipe description.
- Combine ingredients for filling.
- Place some of this mixture (about 1 1/2 tbsps) on each cabbage leaf & fold "envelope" fashion. If the leaf is tough, it will be easier to do this if you make a V shaped incision & remove a part of the coarser spine.
- You may find it easier to roll the cabbage around the filling and just "tuck" the ends into the roll with your fingers - whatever works best for you!
- Lay flap side down in a heavy Dutch oven.
- Combine sauce ingredients - use tomato juice if you don't like V8 - or you may add 1 cup of chicken broth to lessen the tomato flavour; pour over cabbage rolls.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about an hour. Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
These were delicious. I used ground turkey instead of ground beef since it is less fattening and tomato sauce instead of V8 juice because my BH does not like V8. These were so good and I normally do not cook cabbage. The only problem that I had is that my cabbage was really tough and not very soft after it was done cooking. I don't know what that was all about but other than that. Delicious! Thank you for a great recipe.
So easy to make and so darn good we kept going back for more. The whole family raved about these, so you know they get 5 stars from us! Thank you!