Recipe by jensta
It's like bread pudding, only with bacon. Yummy. You can add pretty much anything to this and it works. Hashbrowns, sautéed veggies, mushrooms, spinach.. your imagination is the limit! Serve with a green salad for a brunch or casual dinner.
- 1 lb breakfast sausage, browned and drained
- 12 ounces bacon, browned and drained
- 1⁄2 loaf day-old French bread, cubed
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 eggs
- 3 cups half-and-half (can substitute milk)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- salsa, for topping (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 9 x 13 greased pan, layer bread cubes, sausage, bacon and cheese.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs with the 1/2 and 1/2, salt, pepper, and mustard. Pour over the layered ingredients and make sure to press everything down into the custard mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate over night. If your in a hurry you can weigh the top down with cans and cut the wait time down to about 2 hours (ok, so not so much a hurry but it's faster than overnight!)
- Take out of refrigerator and let set at room temperature 30 minutes before baking 50-60 minutes at 350 degrees. Knife inserted into the center should come out clean.