Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is my go-to recipe for using up ripe bananas. Use as many ripe bananas as you want, at a ratio of: 3 Medium bananas to 1 C quick Oats (or 3/4 - 1 C rolled Oats.) Then select other ingredients according to taste: like spices, currents or raisins, vanilla, coconut, cocoa nibs--your imagination is the only limit! The 3:1 batch makes about 1-1/2 doz. cookie 'bites'. I got the basic idea off the web [see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX0oF4tqJT8 or http://www.theburlapbag.com/2012/07/2-ingredient-cookies-plus-the-mix-ins-of-your-choice for 2 examples among many basic 2 item recipes--many people claimed to have "invented it." I call it synchronicity! :-] I soon realized what a fun recipe it really can be, because you can add so many things to flavor it! In addition, by adding eggs to the mix you can add bran, flax seeds, and other dry ingredients to boost the fiber as well as flavor. I like adding Cocoa Nibs because they don't melt in hot weather or on hikes.
- 3 bananas, very ripe and mashed
- 1 cup quick oats or 3⁄4-1 cup rolled oats
Here are some suggestions for add ins
- 2 -3 teaspoons coconut oil
- 2 -3 tablespoons oat bran
- 2 -3 tablespoons flax seeds
- 2 -3 tablespoons coconut, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts or 1⁄2 cup pecans
- 1⁄3 cup cocoa nibs
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 -2 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 375* or 350 Convect.
- Lightly grease a cookie sheet.
- Mash 3 bananas in a medium bowl.
- Stir in 1 C quick Oats & mix well.
- Mix in other ingredients of choice.
- (Cocoa nibs, nuts, ?) for "surprise" factor.
- Optional: Mix in 1-2 eggs.
- (and/ or coconut oil) until desired thick (cookie dough)consistency.
- drop cookie dough by spoonfulls onto the greased cookie sheet. (They may be very close together, they will not appreciably change size).
- Bake at 375* (or 350 convect) for about 9 minutes (+/-) until the cookie bites have golden edges & peaks,.and when 'poked' softly with your finger, they spring back--.
- Cool & enjoy! These can be enjoyed warm, or can be frozen for later use or to be eaten a few at a time at a later date.