Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
The complete dip can be prepared and refrigerated until ready to bake. The jalapeno is only optional, I like to add it into the cream cheese. The success of this dip will depend on the quality of chili you use so make certain to use a good-quality canned chili or use homemade, for extra heat use extra spricy chili.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili, with ground beef (spicy or mild or use homemade)
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained (or to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (can use more)
- Set oven to 350 degrees (set oven rack to bottom position).
- Grease a 9-inch pie plate.
- Mix both packages cream cheese with jalapeno pepper (if using) then spread on the bottom of the pie plate.
- Spread the chili over the cream cheese, then sprinkle green onions, then green chilies.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until hot (if you are baking this cold out of the fridge the baking time will be longer).
- Sprinkle the grated cheese on top then return to oven for about 5 minutes to melt cheese.
We have been making a very similar version of this dip for years. My family loved the addition of jalapeno, green chilies, and onion. Thanks for updating a much loved recipe.
My sister-in-law makes this all the time and I'm the only one who just "likes" it. This is a good, very rich dip and very easy to make.