Recipe by NormCooks
This recipe makes a big batch of light soup with mild flavor and LOW fat. I don't use much salt during the cooking process, so please feel free to do so, to your preference, if desired. Freeze leftover soup for lunches. Be sure to use rice noodles or rice sticks as these do not soak up all the broth and dry out your leftover soup.
- 1 lb chicken tenders, chopped
- 2 cups bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb rice noodles
- 2 cups water chestnuts
- 8 ounces bean sprouts
- 2 cups frozen broccoli
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 cup frozen okra
- 2 cups snow pea pods, fresh
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 16 g fat free sodium free chicken broth, 4 pkts
- 6 quarts water
- 1⁄2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 4 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, Garlic and Herb Blend
- 4 tablespoons Mrs. Dash seasoning mix, Original Blend
- 2 tablespoons five-spice powder, Asian Brand
- 1 cup spring onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare vegetables. Bring waterchestnuts and carrots to a boil in a large (16 quart) stewpot with about 6 quarts of water (when all ingredients are added your pot should be about 1/2 full). Add chicken, seasonings, soy sauce, and other vegetables and continue to boil about 5 more minutes.
- Break up rice noodles into shorter strands, add to soup, continue to boil for about 5 more minutes, then reduce to simmer for about 10 minutes. Add salt and additional pepper if desired. When noodles are tender, soup is done.
- Top off each serving with a handful of chow mein noodles.