Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This meal can be on the table in around an hour, even faster if you have freezer-ready ground beef mix, or you can simmer it for longer. If you do not have any chili seasoning mix use about 2-4 tablespoons chili powder instead, you can substitute 2 cups tomato sauce mixed with 1 cup water in place of tomato juice. This is great served with crostini or crusty buns
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced garlic
- 1 -2 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped, optional (add in if you like spicy)
- 1 small green bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 cups tomato juice (make sure it is a good quality tomato juice, I use Heinz)
- 1 (12 ounce) jar thick & chunky salsa (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans or 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup, undiluted
- chili seasoning mix (packaged or homemade, any amount to taste, you can use half package or all of the package)
- shredded cheddar cheese
- chopped onion (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, cook the ground beef with onion, garlic, jalapeno and green pepper (if using) .
- Stir in tomato juice, salsa, beans, undrained tomatoes, tomato soup and chili seasoning mix; mix well to combine and bring to a boil.
- Simmer, covered for about 40-45 minutes (can cook longer if desired).
- Serve in bowls and top with grated cheese and onions.