Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
I wanted Borracho Beans as a side dish but didn't want to make the beans from a dried state. This recipe uses canned beans but it is so good you wouldn't know it! You can't really substitute the beer in this recipe because Borracho Beans means "drunken" and without the beer... well they just wouldn't be Borracho Beans! Also, these beans are intended to be "soupy" so if you like your beans with a thicker sauce (like me!), either use 1/2 the beer or simmer the beans longer (this is what I do).
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1⁄4 onion, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans pinto beans (undrained)
- 1 (10 ounce) can Ro-Tel tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies (undrained)
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic (or use garlic powder to taste)
- 1 (12 ounce) bottlemexican beer (use only 1/2 bottle for thicker beans)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- lime wedge
- shredded cheese
- In a medium sized sauce pan, fry bacon and onion until the bacon is crisp (stirring often to make sure onion doesn't burn).
- add pinto beans, ro-tel tomatoes, chilies, garlic and beer to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes or until the sauce is to your desired thickness (if you have longer, it's better!).
- Stir in cilantro and garnich with lime or cheese or both!
Borracho beans are like King Ranch casserole, spaghetti sauce, chili or beef stew. There as many versions of these beloved standards as there are cooks! I really loved this version and the addition of the Rotel tomatoes is a great shortcut, and made these beans very flavorful and tasty. This Texan much prefers some tomato in the beans to keep them from being bland. I will make these again! Thanks, Sooz.
Welllll, having been a long time Texan, and having eaten borracho beans at least 100 times, I must say that I was very disappointed with this recipe. Borracho beans are usually a laid back fare with no tomatoes. But then again, the recipe didn't say "authentic". Maybe others will like it, and I am looking forward to reading their reviews.