Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
slightly sour soup made with polish sausage hard boiled eggs , traditional polish recipe
- 1 quart water
- 2 -3 Polish sausage, cut up
- 2 -6 tablespoons vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- hard-boiled egg, approx. 2 to 4 per person
- 1 cup milk
- 2 -4 tablespoons flour
- boil polish sausage in water . when cooked put sausage on the side , either slice up sausage or leave in small 2 to 4 inch pieces.
- mix milk and flour to form a gravy base
- in sausage water add vinagar salt and pepper when boiled add flour milk mixture till thickens
- serve with sliced sausage and eggs
- good with rye bread.
I was looking at my soup cookbook and realized I had saved yours. My family made a very similar soup. The differences are: after the sausage is cooked, remove it from the broth and add large dice potatoes. Cook til done. The 2nd thing is we don't use mil but some of the broth or cold water to make the slurry. We then serve it in a bowl with the potatoes, sliced sausage, and sliced or chopped hard cooked eggs. This is my version: Recipe #164056
I've searched for this for years after my grandfather died, its almost like his, but for my tastes, I used 3/4 cup of vinegar.
This recipe made my Easter a much better one. It confirmed a great aunt's recollection of an old family Polish recipe. I tried it today (Easter Day 2007) and it was like being back in my wonderful Mother's kitchen on our family farm of long ago. She passed away in 2001, but probably no longer cooked after about the mid 1990's. Thank you very much for the memories and the great taste of my past.